Archive – October 2015

10/1/15  So, here I sit.  Injured again and frustrated.  What better thing to do (in addition to focusing on core work and general cardio) than to blog about my recovery and eventual triumph over adversity?

I just ran a half marathon a few weeks ago, and started my prep for a 10-miler in mid-October.  Due to rehabbing from my last Achilles procedure (Ossatron), I had been staying on treadmills and tracks, while slowly introducing myself back into the “real world” of hills and uneven ground.

Two weeks ago, I came home from work, intent on squeezing in a quick five-miler before picking up my daughter from swim practice.  Being fresh off a half-marathon, I wasn’t worried about the distance, but I hadn’t run hills at all, as I was about four months into my rehab after another Achilles procedure.  I didn’t have time to go to the gym, where I could run on the treadmill.  So, I slipped on the shoes and left for a run around the local lake.  The trails are generally packed dirt with moderate hills the whole way.  Bad decision.  About three miles in, on my way up a relatively mild hill, I felt that all-too-familiar searing pain through my right Achilles.  I hobbled home and iced, hoping that I’d be able to walk the next day.  No luck.  Next morning, I knew — another few weeks on the shelf as I wait for the situation to heal.  But I know too well that it won’t.

So this is where I am.  I’ve got a ten-miler in about three weeks, which I will run, albeit at a VERY slow pace.  After that, I can shut it down for the winter and enter yet another spring building up from nothing but light sessions on stationary bikes or elliptical machines, and in the pool.  My plan is to share the journey with anyone else who has this issue.  I’ll happily listen to advice, and will share whatever I can with you.  I still have goals to meet, and I’ll go into those some other time.

10/4/15  So after a few days on the shelf, I returned to the gym, focusing only on maintaining cardio shape, which means elliptical training.  I was able to maintain a pretty solid cadence with no major issues.  The general workout goes something like this:  walk a brisk mile, with the intent of loosening up, hitting the elliptical for 45-60 minutes, and doing a half mile cool down walk.  The soreness seems to be abating somewhat, which is encouraging.  At this point, I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to run and complete next week’s 10-miler.  However, having done ZERO speed work, I have no intention of legging this thing out.  I just want to get through the race, and get to rehabbing over the winter.

10/11/15  Up and at ’em early.  Sandy and I were out of bed at 5:30 and left the house at 6.  20 minutes later, we were parked, and waiting for race time.  It stayed chilly up until race time.  Just before the starting gun, I dumped my sweats (bought the day before at a local thrift store – BEST PRACTICE!!) and got moving.  At about 50 degrees, it was a bit chilly, but we settled into a pace around 9:00/mile.  Sandy held up well until around the sixth mile.  I knew this would be the case, as between work and school, she didn’t have the time to train as she’d prefer.  But we kept chugging along.

My favorite part of the 10-miler is the two-mile stretch after the run crosses 14th street.  There’s a four-block stretch where runners on the way out pass those on the way in.  A lot of encouragement and high-fives, and smiles.  Then started the slight but steady uphill toward the Pentagon.  I was a little worried about the Achilles, but the speed was low enough that this wasn’t a problem.  Sandy was starting to fade badly at this point.  At one point, I was looking for her in the crowd behind me, when a Jamaican runner said “How are you sure the person you’re looking for is behind you?”  I smiled, shook my head, and said I’m sure she’s behind me.  “Then she’s behind you – keep moving,” he said.  I laughed, saying I’m not leaving the wife behind – not today!  Giving a booming laugh, he stated the obvious….”You’re right – not today, and not tomorrow, either!”

Long story short, we got the job done, and finished together.  I have no idea what our time was, nor do I want to know.  All I know is that it’s time for rehab.